Tuesday, September 6, 2011

hong kong exchange

"You're going on exchange to Hong Kong?  That's AMAZING!"

That was a pretty regular response from family and friends back home in Aus when I told them about it.  When they ask whether I was excited, I'd usually say that since I hadn't packed, the magnitude of the whole 'going away for four months going to a new university' has not sunk in yet.

More than two weeks in, for me it's still a bit of a mixed bag.  Yes, I have met a lot of people; more than I can remember.  Most have been exchange students, with the largest proportion from the US.  The thing is though, quantity does not equal quality, although I have met some great people who are immense fun to be around.  I'm not saying that the people I've met aren't good people-  they most likely are;  I'm just saying that most of the time our conversations do not amount to much more than whats your name/whereabouts are you from/what are you studying.  



Having said that though, all of my new friends have been exchange students or international students.  They just seem so much more...approachable, easy to talk to, and most importantly, want to start a conversation.  Contrast that with this morning, where I asked this guy (local, I think) a question: a one word answer and then put some distance between us. 


Sorry if I sound like a massive whiner, but I'm just trying to write about my experiences so far here in HK, good and bad.


There has been plenty of upside in Hong Kong though!  For a start, I've got to catch up with my grandparents and extended family.  As a result of this, and regular watching of tv shows (mainly the Chinese dubbed Korean show 'you are my destiny' that my grandma watches), I believe my canto has improved noticeably;  now i can talk to people like mtr and university administrative staff without them asking me to speak in english.  Shopping here is obviously fantastic, and I have already filled most of my luggage space!  Highlights include (in AUD, assuming exchange rate of 8):  real adidas futsal shoes for $40, a fake arsenal kit (shirt and shorts with name and numbers) for $9,  bossini jeans for $20, and a Samsung Galaxy sII for $550.

Food here is also incredibly cheap, with a good meal coming for no more than $4.  Yumcha breakfast for three people costs roughly $10 total!


Hong Kong University is quite different to Melbourne.  For a start, it is built on a steep hill, so stairs and lifts are everywhere.  Often, you can enter the ground floor of a building, go up to 4th floor,  walk out to the south and can then enter the next building on ground floor.  Food on campus is also cheap, but since everyone has lunch at 12:30, the queue can be massive!  So far, the best thing about it is the gym:  Its completely free!  True, its not massive and obviously doesn't have the flash machines of places like genesis in Melbourne,  but it's still pretty good.  Its not that crowded either, although I did go at lunchtime.


During orientation, they said that it was common for exchange students' experience to drop down and feel sad and lonely;  in a perverse sort of way, I found it reassuring in the sense that I wasn't expected to have the time of my life and have an amazing life changing experience and be elated every singe day of my stay here. 

Okay, think its time to wrap it up and stop scabbing the free wifi in the library; its nearly dinner time and I don't want grandma to get angry at me!  Thanks to everyone who read this, and thanks to everyone who has talked to me while I've been 7000km away- your conversations are most definitely appreciated :)

1 comment:

  1. hey loz sounds like you're having a good time :D good to know your canto is improving too! keep blogging yay!

    ReplyDelete